6/10/09

Calling BS on Sheed Rumors

I’ve made it clear that I’m not interested in Rasheed Wallace one bit, and the more I look into the rumor about the Cavs being in negotiations with him, the more I realize it’s B.S. A guy named J. Gamble from Slam Online reported it last week, and every media source ran with it. Here is what he said,

"My sources say that Rasheed Wallace and the Cavs are beginning talks on a two-year deal worth about $10 million per for the services of the former Piston. The move and negotiations were inspired by Dwight Howard’s dominant performance over Cleveland’s big men in the Eastern Conference Finals. And Wallace will be brought in for that very purpose, to neutralize Dwight Howard next season and help the Cavs get over the hump. This supports what we previously reported about what it will take for Sheed to come back next year. "

"If this signing falls through, I’m hearing that Cleveland may do a sign and trade with the Clippers for Zach Randolph, which certainly makes sense for the Clippers since they are taking Blake Griffin No. 1 overall. "

Now I can’t exactly dispute the fact that Cleveland could be breaking the rules by talking to a player before he is a free agent, I’m sure it happens frequently. My guess is this guy named J. Gamble is pulling this story straight from his butt, trying to make a name for himself. It is only the second article he’s written for Slam Online.

The part that really points to B.S. for me is the part about Zach Randolph. First, you can’t sign and trade a player unless he's a free agent, and Zack Randolph is not a free agent. He has 2 years left on his contract worth more than $33 million. And second, I don't see the Cavs taking on that kind of money, especially when roughly 18 of that $33 million is due in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment