6/2/09

Cavaliers Free Agents 09'

Ben Wallace recently made this statement to the Cleveland Plain Dealer;

“It isn't getting any easier for me. It is tough going out there every night with something hurting and not being able to give the effort you want to give. I love the game and respect the game too much to be going out there half-hearted."

If Big Ben does decide to retire I will graciously respect his decision. Unfortunately I just don’t see Wallace walking away from the $14 million owed to him next season. I could either see the Cavs offering him a buyout or trading his expiring contract. I would prefer getting something out of Wallace, some team will want his expiring contract. He is useless to the Cavs next season.

Zydrunas has an (ETO) which basically means he can terminate his contract and become an unrestricted free agent. This usually takes affect with players that think they can make more money elsewhere. Z has made it known that he doesn’t want to leave Cleveland, and I don’t blame him. He’s been through the good and the bad in his 10 years as a Cavalier. I’ll give Z one more year, but he’s not going to see 27 minutes a game anymore, he’ll be lucky to get 20 next season.

Anderson Varejao has a player option, and don’t be surprised to see him leave his $6.2 mil on the table and bolt for more money. After setting career highs in starts, points and field goal percentage he’ll test the free agency market again. I love the hustle and passion Andy brings to the game but he’s not a starter in this league. He makes the amount of money he should, and unless some team really reaches on him, I don’t see him making more money than he does now. Good-bye Andy, it was nice knowing you.

Wally Szczerbiak, Joe Smith, and Lorenzen Wright are all unrestricted free agents.

I like Wally and he said he wants to stay in Cleveland but if he thinks he’s going to make anywhere close to the $13.7 million he made last year he’s living in LaLa Land. If he can be re-signed for an $11 million three year deal, than I’m all for it.

Joe Smith was a solid contributor to this team the last two seasons, but with J.J. Hickson and Darnell Jackson coming along nicely, its time to say goodbye.
(photo courtesy of msnbc.com)

1 comment:

  1. we need to depart joe smith and andy, butt we need to go out and get a Brand or a Camby

    ReplyDelete